39 replies to this topic

#1 winter

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIngham county

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

How/when do you use it? Soil or hydro? What does it do? Does it work? Is there something better? Please only post about your experience with ssu, not something you heard or read about online.

#2 MasterKush

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

Good topic...curious to see what people have to say. I just picked up Snowstorm Ultra for the first time on Monday. I havent started using it yet... Im going to do a side by side comparison with and without on the same strains in the same conditions to see if it really works or not. I'll give a report on my findings...

#3 winter

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIngham county

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

I look forward to hearing/seeing your results.

#4 bubblegrower

Horticultural Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

i received a few of these tester bottles from the growco a few months ago to try out:
Posted Image

i ran it in bubblebuckets for the last 3 weeks prior to flush in a side-by-side test with 2 strains. moby dick and blubonic. i picked 2 strains that i am sincerely familiar with so there would be no question about results. i ran it as directed on package, 2ml/gal.

there was really nothing to report. no major difference either way. i actually think the moby did better WITHOUT it ....... but im sure there are other aspects that could have been changed to accomodate for the extra ppm and "dial it in a bit"

if given the chance to run more tests on it i probably would, just because i have heard so many good things about it. BUT, i really havent heard any "seasoned vets" sing praises on it, and i probably wouldnt purchase any to run more trials ..... just didnt seem worth it.

i do have a bottle left and might do another side-by-side and use it as a foliar spray this time and see what happens.

#5 winter

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIngham county

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

View Postbubblegrower, on 15 December 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

i received a few of these tester bottles from the growco a few months ago to try out:
Posted Image

i ran it in bubblebuckets for the last 3 weeks prior to flush in a side-by-side test with 2 strains. moby dick and blubonic. i picked 2 strains that i am sincerely familiar with so there would be no question about results. i ran it as directed on package, 2ml/gal.

there was really nothing to report. no major difference either way. i actually think the moby did better WITHOUT it ....... but im sure there are other aspects that could have been changed to accomodate for the extra ppm and "dial it in a bit"

if given the chance to run more tests on it i probably would, just because i have heard so many good things about it. BUT, i really havent heard any "seasoned vets" sing praises on it, and i probably wouldnt purchase any to run more trials ..... just didnt seem worth it.

i do have a bottle left and might do another side-by-side and use it as a foliar spray this time and see what happens.
I just recently tried it as a foliar spray with mixed results. I used it from week 1-5 of 12/12 and saw very large trich increase over ones that werent sprayed, but by the time they were done they seemed to even out. Also seems to be strain dependent as one strain showed no difference while others exploded. Also,when sprayed(as per instructions) on one strain it killed 99% of the pistils. may have just been too much for her (shes nute sensitive). need more info. thanks, winter

#6 jayt

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

I did a side by side test with SS as well. Ran a strain that I know very well in a system I use for testing new plants. One plant with my standard nutes, one plus snow storm, and one plus snow storm and gravity. I really saw no gain from the ss or gravity. Seems like a waste of money to me. And it turns out gravity has a dangerous hormone in it so I'm glad I got rid of it.

#7 Gimme_some_bubbles

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationDownriver

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

I did a side by side test with SS ultra earlier this year and I honestly couldn't tell a difference. I used it on 2 strains, some purple kush and also on some sour diesel. At harvest they were pretty much the same as the ones that didn't have it, although the diesel did seem a little sensitive to it and burned a bit.

I did notice that in the beginning it seemed like trichs appeared faster, but it wasn't long until the others caught up. Nothing special in my book.

This was in DWC btw, in the bucket not foliar sprayed.

#8 Mike Sativa

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationIn the Canopy !

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:16 AM

Hmm.. maybe foliar spraying will be a different outcome ?

These reviews so far dont sound that great, but ill still keep an open mind to it. Since i did already pick up a small bottle..lol.

#9 Afi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:28 AM

I call snake oil on this one. I have tried it out on several strains and seen no difference except some strains did not like it. I have been experiencing positive results from gravity though.

Peace, Afi

#10 Cedar

Author

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

Gravity is bad stuff... Several states are sueing Humbolt over it because it leaves cancer causing chemicals in the plant after flush. Places like Amsterdam where MJ has rules on growing to be called medical I had read somewhere completely ban it. I bought a bottle of gravity, used it one week, read up on what was in it and stopped.

As far as Snow Storm Ultra though, well I have a different opinion. As far as Trichs go, I don't notice that much difference, but I do think it helps. What I do notice is that I can load up my NFT system with a 1000PPM mixture, add SSU to one and not another, and the SSU trough will drop in PPM twice as fast. I had one plant in a DWC bubble bucket that would go from 1100PPM to 400 in 24 hours. Getting the nutes into the plant faster to me, seems like it would give additional growth as long as you have enough light. Also, if I go as high as 2ml/g I can see nute burn, so I normally shoot for about .5-1ml/g

I have a G47 right now that almost looks like a plush toy, and I run SSU from week 2 of flower right through till about 2 weeks before flush. I notice larger plants in a shorter amount of time, which in turn deals larger buds, and they are all frosty, even the lower ones I didn't get a chance to pull off.

One thing I haven't seen anyone else mention, is once you open this, it goes bad REALLY fast. I keep mine in a cardboard box to keep light out, and never stick anything in it, always pour it into a shot glass or something, and discard whatever isn't used. I had gotten 4 sample bottles of it, and my first one was cloudy with scum before it was 1/2 used. And it is ineffectual at that point. Should be clear to clear yellow or it isn't going to work.

JMHO.

#11 Shredder

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

I have to agree Afi and Cedar.

One thing that should stick, if you do see a good result from using one these miracle additives, your grow is most likey missing something. When your grow room and your particular variety are dialed in, you will reach your plants full potential. Nothing else needed.

And what may bother me the most is the nonchalant attitude by the companies who market this stuff to medical patients as if they did not know who is using it and on what. Duh, their biggest clients are grow shops. And they are not the only guilty ones in this mess. The govt. is not doing it's job regulating use, most likely because of who we are. Our grow store owners, who by now what's up, and still market it. And the sleaze ball who uses it to make a quick buck off the unaware. There is no compassion in deception......shredder

#12 Lynx3621

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

I run it it sunshine mix4 and it made a difference in that.I start using it as soon as clones come out of dixie cups, didnt notice a difference in the ebb and flow...It effected my root growth...its nothing more than a shot of pottasium, and not very expensive.

#13 Lynx3621

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Also..gravity does not contain a carginogen, it does contain a pgr, and the debate still up in the air on that.There are others that gravity gets lumped in with that do contain a carcinogen.

#14 ganjawarrior

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Locationby dow

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostLynx3621, on 16 January 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

Also..gravity does not contain a carginogen, it does contain a pgr, and the debate still up in the air on that.There are others that gravity gets lumped in with that do contain a carcinogen.

Also..... seems your splitting hairs. Its medicine isnt it..... do you tell you patients "im pretty sure this wont give you more cancxer, but im lost as to what these pgh will do".... do u mention to them the bottle says not for human consumption? Seems to me if theres any debate its a no no....to me growing is about reducing the number of nasty toxic shit i put in my meds, not looking for snake oil ways of getting more unknown nasty shit in my system.

#15 Shredder

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

View Postganjawarrior, on 16 January 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Also..... seems your splitting hairs. Its medicine isnt it..... do you tell you patients "im pretty sure this wont give you more cancxer, but im lost as to what these pgh will do".... do u mention to them the bottle says not for human consumption? Seems to me if theres any debate its a no no....to me growing is about reducing the number of nasty toxic shit i put in my meds, not looking for snake oil ways of getting more unknown nasty shit in my system.

Exactly. I could not agree more. I grow medicine. Gravity, is not approved for human consumption. Do we really need to debate this?
shredder

#16 Lynx3621

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Nope, its already been debated pretty throughly...just wanted to clear up the carcinogen statement.

#17 winter

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIngham county

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostLynx3621, on 16 January 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

I run it it sunshine mix4 and it made a difference in that.I start using it as soon as clones come out of dixie cups, didnt notice a difference in the ebb and flow...It effected my root growth...its nothing more than a shot of pottasium, and not very expensive.
From what i've read on the net its not the potassium, its the jasmonic acid thats in it that does the trick.

#18 anonymousgrower?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNear Lake Huron

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

To see results you would need to add crystal burst and purple maxx

#19 anonymousgrower?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNear Lake Huron

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostLynx3621, on 16 January 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

I used to use it because of the bang for the buck.
They almost doubled in price in stores around here.

#20 Shredder

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

If you guys want to see an amazing nute. Buy a 50 lb bag of alfalfa meal.($12) Take a handfull, and mix with a gallon of water for 24-36 hours then strain and spray. You will see new growth within two days. You can mix a cup in 5 gallons of water as use as a drench. You mix it in your soil mix, you can top dress it, and you can make a fermented plant extract out of it. You can turn your compost pile into a thermo compost pile by using alfalfa meal. Did I mention 50 lb is $12 at the farm store? This stuff is cheap and is as effective as anything I've seen or used. Of course if the hydro store sold it, the price would be something like $12 an ounce, lol.

Way before hydro stores there were farm stores, and there no way a farmer would spend hard earned cash on ineffective products. Sometimes you can find big bags of kelp meal cheap too, as it's used as a premium horse food. I find espoma brand tone fertilizer for $5 for a 5 lb bag, it's made from organic meals and cheap cheap. A 20 lb bag of plant tone is $17. Another high end feed meal is soybean meal, around me it's $100 for a 100lb bag, too much for me to use, but still a great value.

It's your money though, spend it as you will.....shredder

Edit they must have told me wrong on the soybean meal because I picked up two hundred lb bags for $18 each, it's 7-2-2 on the NPK scale

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users