86 replies to this topic

#1 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationCentral Michigan

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

I quit smoking and went to using e-cigarettes. The e-cig pen vaporizer I have is called Dream Vapor, only cost $25.99. Also, I think you can use parts from another company's vape pen called ego-T, at least I hope you can.

Well, I had to figure out a way to make RSO work with the tank style pen vaporizer. After much failure, I think I have it! I used approximately 70% high quality RSO and 30% propylene glycol. I warmed the RSO lightly, removed it from the heat, then added the PG. The PG may even improve the RSO. It aids it in entering the bloodstream more quickly, helps it penetrate the skin when used as a topical, lowers the temperature required to vaporize the RSO, and I am sure it can also help add flavors to the RSO if you so choose.

I have been using it for about two weeks. I love it. It seems to be just as potent as vaporizing pure RSO with my eclpse vaporizer, if not better. One fill in the vape pen tank seems to be equivalent to about 5-7 grams of premium bud if smoked in joints or a bowl. So far, I think I prefer the vape pen over any other method.

Just thought I'd let ya'll know about it for those who like to vape oil.

I suppose it would work with BHO. I would recommend it to be decarbed though since it vapes at a low temperature.

Here is a close up of the RSO I used to make the e-cannabis oil.

Here is the pen vaporizer I have been using with the e-cannabis oil.

#2 knottforsale

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationIrish Hills

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Nice!
Now if we can get you and abbe together on this post.
And yes, it can be done with BHO. I infuse it into propylene glycol first, then add glycerin to desired flow thickness.

Edited by knottforsale, 27 May 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#3 _abbenormal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

hey gg

glad to here its working for ya ive been mixing for these devices for awhile now... i like it also dont smoke much raw plant material now... think this is much better and i can vape most anywhere now... but like everything else the more we speak out on this the more leo will know... this is why i dont do much on the forums the less info we give out the less they know... i avoid the hassle that will come from them knowing...

abbe

#4 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

I couldn't help it. I just keep spending money on this stuff. I have a good excuse though. I am doing it for our community Posted Image for the greater good.

After blowing some money and ordering some standard 510 batteries that do have adjustable voltage, well, that just was not enough after having seen a King Kong looking vaporizer. So I picked one out and this one is huge! You can check the resistance of whatever device you choose to vape from right on the unit. Then you can adjust your volts and wattage to what will work best for the vaping device you attach.

As soon as I get it and try it out, I will surely report back.

I spent the entire day researching. There are far more products out there available for e-ciggs than for mj. It seems to be worthwhile to make the cannabis oil work in an e-cigg vaporizer. There are so many different attachments for me to try. Like dual coil elements. Can't wait!

#5 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Well, first impression, it is THE whoop!

It is a real heavy high quality feel to it. Like medical equipment quality, surgical even :)

Anyway, I filled that bad boy up and it delivers some of the most powerful vapes ever. I can even get baked from only one draw. Yet it is so elegant you can take gentle draws too. It is all in the settings and how hard you decide to draw. Very convenient. The only downside I see is vaping oil can be expensive. For people that already have pen style vapes, most likely their accessories will fit this unit. My older plugged up atomizer worked as good as new if not better having the ability to turn up the wattage and/or voltage.

With no attachment on this thing it looks like a miniature light sabre! The force is now with me, always!

#6 Cedar

Author

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

70% RSO? So if you were making 10 ML, you would make it 7ML RSO and 3 ML PG? And that still wicks up the cotton?

Wow, The most potent I did was just the opposite, 3ML RSO to 7ML PG, and the comments were it wasn't potent enough. So I guess back to the lab to test. And mixing it 7ML RSO, say 2ML PG and 1ML VG might be a viable solution to thin it out some.

Thanks for this post, there is still a lot I need to learn about E-cigs.

#7 Catfinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationYour next door neighbor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

I love my 710 Pen, its by far the easiest to refill and use with no wicking cotton. Direct contact to the element right in the same chamber where you fill it. I make the BHO, heat treat it till zero bubbles are present, add nothing else to it, fill 710 Pen, and enjoy.

#8 Nix

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Nice work! What benefits are their to vaping oil over flowers? Vaping flowers is easy, all you need is a grinder. However its not as potent of course or portable.

#9 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostCedar, on 07 June 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

70% RSO? So if you were making 10 ML, you would make it 7ML RSO and 3 ML PG? And that still wicks up the cotton?

Wow, The most potent I did was just the opposite, 3ML RSO to 7ML PG, and the comments were it wasn't potent enough. So I guess back to the lab to test. And mixing it 7ML RSO, say 2ML PG and 1ML VG might be a viable solution to thin it out some.

So far I have only worked with one batch of RSO. I have noticed in different batches of the RSO that the thickness can be different. There are many factors to consider. Strains used, quick wash vs. not so quick, frozen vs. room temperature, etc. All of which can have an effect on the final product. I have seen folks over purge their oil, or over heat while purging and the oil came out thick, it looked good, but seemed to have damaged the THC, they got no buzz from it. The buds used were potent too.

I am sure this can all have an effect of what the preferred mixture of PG USP to RSO or other concentrate would need to be.

Quick note, be sure to ONLY use propylene glycol USP, this is the food/medical grade PG.

View PostCatfinger, on 07 June 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

I love my 710 Pen, its by far the easiest to refill and use with no wicking cotton. Direct contact to the element right in the same chamber where you fill it. I make the BHO, heat treat it till zero bubbles are present, add nothing else to it, fill 710 Pen, and enjoy.

Hmmmm, 710, I will have to look into that. I just ordered some G-Pen parts, Essential pen parts, and a few others. I want to see how each compares and how interchangeable they are, and report back to the community of my findings.

View PostNix, on 07 June 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

Nice work! What benefits are their to vaping oil over flowers? Vaping flowers is easy, all you need is a grinder. However its not as potent of course or portable.

Well, I cannot say what all the benefits would be. Here are a few. When vaping oil, you don't get that funky popcorn taste. When I vape my oil, it has a ganja taste. When vaping the oil, there is less chances of burning the product. Also, when the oil is made correctly, you will not be getting any of the red oil from the plant, or water soluble oil. You will only be getting the high quality oil soluble CBDs and THC. When it is a good quality, completely dried buds and frozen extraction or good BHO or other concentrate, you are not getting all of the chlorophyll or anything else that may vaporize compared to vaping buds.

The biggest downside is the expense. It is easy to over consume the oil. It may not be the most efficient way of consuming cannabis. However, it may be one of the cleanest and healthiest ways.

In my opinion, nothing makes up for ingesting RSO or decarbed concentrated cannabis oil.

#10 Cedar

Author

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Overcooking is possible, but undercooking is a problem too. It should be a thick tar at room temperatures. That is according to Rick Simpson in his video. If it is thin, then there remains a high chance that some solvent remains.

Mine is thick like heavy tar, but still will knock your socks off. So consistency shouldn't be a determination as to how good or potent RSO is.

I just made more this weekend. I'll let you know how it ends up when I try to mix it 70%pg to 30% RSO. And yes, I do use USP food grade PG. :) Good to point it out though.

#11 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Here is my new custom glass tank for my e-cigg/concentrates :) I submitted my design to High Desert Vapes and their glass expert hooked me up! They have everything you could possibly want or need for vaping. PG USP, flavors, e-cigg oils, and all my favorite vaporizing accessories. When using the glass tank I notice a sweeter flavor than when I use the SVD with the standard tank and tip, the tip is metal, I don't get the sweet taste just ganja. Strange how the metal tip masks the sweet flavors. It is the same with the e-cigg oils. That is kind of good though for e-cannabis users. It gives you more choices. The custom glass rig cost less than $100. It attaches to any 510 thread battery.

So, it appears that concentrates may be considered illegal now. Some people need their concentrates and will make and use them anyway. If you like vaporizing concentrates, then stealth is the way to go in today's world. I use e-cigarettes and I put one i16 tinted clearomizer in the eGo carry case. The clearomizer is filled with e-cannabis oil. Everything else in the kit is e-cigg oils and accessories. Can't see how anyone would even suspect it being anything else but an e-cigg kit. I purchased everything in the kit from High Desert Vapes. I feel more safe and confident using a set up like this. I love the eGo C Twist 650 mAh variable voltage batteries, as well as the tinted iClear 16 clearomizer tanks.

#12 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

So, I just now tried non-decarbed oil in the vaporizer. I think I like it better. It offers a different type of buzz, more like smoking premium dank, an instant buzz where the RSO is different. It is definitely personal preference either way.

I pretty much followed BubbleGrowers directions on making QWISO. Fast frozen extraction. I did a small amount which produced a couple of grams. I did use my best buds.

QWISO works great for e-cannabis oil.

#13 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostCedar, on 07 June 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

Yes it does flow up the wick. It is very potent so I only need a hit or two. Passing it around, you need to wait in between hits, depending on how thick the mixed or prepared oil is. More so I have noticed the concentrate itself or even strain. I have made many different batches now and have also been making QWISO. I have had to add up to 65% maybe 70% PG USP. A lot is personal preference too.

All that doesn't really matter that much anymore. Nothing is wicking upwards. Gravity is now working for me! The more full it is, the more it pushes down to the wick. So far these bottom fed wicking units are very impressive.

The SVD rules!!!

A close up of the new innokin iClear 30b. A dual coil bottom fed clearomizer.

This is the innokin iClear 30b left and the Kangar Pro Tank 3 right. Each are dual coil bottom fed uints mounted on innoken SVD vaporizer, my favorite. .

#14 Nix

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for all of the amazing info GrowGodess. Also thanks to knottforsale for his advice and everyone else contributing to these experiments. I thought I would share my results. I am new to concentrates btw.

I made a batch of oil using Bacardi 151 and a half ounce of Critical Kali Mist. I put both in the blender and then strained the alcohol. I boiled off about half of it and then let evaporation do the rest. I ended up with this thick, black, putty-like oil.

Posted Image

I added a couple of grams of oil to a shot glass, along with various amounts of PG, peppermint oil, VG, and then boiled in a pan of water so they would mix.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I tried a few different recipes and two different wicks.

Posted Image

The one in the middle is the most vapable but it also has the most VG/PG and is therefore pretty weak. I get more of a stoned feeling from it. The drop of peppermint oil is great for stealth and gives it a nice mouthwash flavor, however as it might be adding to the harshness. I will probably leave it out from now on. The one on the left is 50% oil, 50% PG. It is more effective but as GrowGoddess said you have to wait in-between hits for it to work correctly which is kind of annoying. How often do you wait between draws? I had heard that the bottom-wicking clearmorizers are the best for oils so I gave one a try. I agree that it works better. However I still have to wait between hits and this clearmorizer does not fit the 510 battery very well. I get a loud sucking sound through the air holes which makes it less useful for stealth. I am holding off on buying a better device until I know that I can get fully medicated this way. It still doesn't compare to vaping flowers IMO. I think it is true that a lot of it has to do with starting off with quality oil or wax.

I also want to experiment a bit more with VG (vegetable glycerine) as opposed to PG (propylene glycol). It doesn't wick as well but it is easier on the throat.

Edited by Nix, 07 January 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#15 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Nix, you are doing a good job and I would like to help. I know it can be better, much better.

I do not recommend using the Bicardi 151 or any other 151 proof alcohol, there is too much water in it. I am sure you are aware that 99% isopropyl alcohol is also a good solvent. Here is a link to where you can get some 190 everclear, they will ship to Michigan. http://www.winechate...OHOL-190@-750ML

You don't have to use RSO, you can use QWISO. There is a big difference in the taste between the two.

The clearomizers you are using, well, I don't recommend them. Those look like they are all single coil the one on the left and middle appear to be C4's. The one on the right I am guessing is a bottom single coil with glass. I don't recommend glass. I just learned this. I also don't recommend a single coil when it comes to cannabis oil. It is easier to burn, harsher, and as for the glass, same problem. It is more tasty, but it can seriously aid in the harshness or burning feeling. Not just that, the air intake has a lot to do with the harshness. I noticed my Pro Tank 3 has much more air intake and is much harsher than my iClear 30b. The iClear 30b has a more restricted air intake. You kind of take little power puffs instead of long drags. There is just something about it when you add more air, there is a lot more burning or harshness. The C4 clearomizers have more air intake since they are only single coil and the way they are designed.

The units I recommend for e-cannabis oil are only innokin products. iClear 30b, iClear 30, and iClear 16. Also, you may prefer an iClear 16b, however, these only have eGo threads. All of these units are double coil and better yet, the coils criss cross, they are the best. My favorite so far is the iClear 30b, it is heavy, but I like it a lot. It does get more leakage to the battery due to the b units are bottom fed. However, since the wicks are short and it being bottom fed, it is worth the bit of leaking or drippage from use. It just three times faster than a top fed unit, the drippage. If you are concerned about your battery, you can always use a 510 to 510 sealed connector. I use those on all of my pen battery chargers. I clean my SVD each time I take the clearomizer off. I clean it with alcohol. It is worth the minimal hassle.

It is not just me saying this. Each patient that has tried my SVD said it is the best they have ever had.

With vaporizing, the cleaner the oil, the better. Have you considered winterizing your oil?

Just going with QWISO alone, using no heat, the oil seems to come out cleaner, less dark. It is different, but just as good.

Are you doing a frozen extract? Here is how I do mine http://www.rollitup....ncentrated.html

I recommend doing the extraction with 99% iso. After it is fully purged and done, dilute it with 190 Everclear, like a cup worth four up to 5 grams. Put it in a jar in the freezer for three days. Then pour it through a coffee filter into your purge pan. That should make your oil come out cleaner. Yes you will lose some of your weight, but oh man, the difference it can make. The cleaner the oil, the better when it comes to vaping.

Instead of using those C4 clearomizers. Switch to a rebuildable iClear 16. Those are dual coil and are a lot smoother. They just work better. I get most of my stuff at High Desert Vapes. They don't have the iClear 30b yet, but I am sure they will soon. The iClear 30b used on the SVD is the best I have had yet. The second best is a regular iClear 30. The third best is an iClear 16. I would throw the Pro Tank 3 in there, it could actually be the second best, maybe if I tried thick metal tips, but I don't think so due to the extra air flow.

Here is a link to my vapor blog, on the bottom of page 1 is a link to SkunkPharms winterizing, they call it polishing. http://michiganmedic...-cigarette-oil/

Lastly, I would not try the VG, it does not mix well and really serves no purpose. I would only stick with using the PG USP. You just need the right vaping equipment and the cleanest possible oil.

I hope this information has been helpful. You gotta keep going. You'll get it down. I was in the same position you are in trying to figure out what works best. For good reason. Convenient vaping of oil is the safest way to consume cannabis aside from edibles.

#16 Nix

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for all the great information and advice, GG. I am into health and stealth, for myself and my patients, so I won't give up. I ordered a iClear 16b and look forward to giving it a try. I will also try a more pure ISO extraction technique and your other recommendations.

#17 Grow Goddess

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

I think I have found everything I was looking for when it comes to vaping. I looked hard since I quit smoking, no more combustion for me.

After trying the SVD, I knew it was the best. The best clearomizer (the oil tank) for it has got to be the iClear 30b. At least with my oil it is.

The heating element in the iClear 30b seems to last the longest. It offers the smoothest best hits. There is no going back from here.

The iClear 30b is new. I got mine from Ziggy's Vapes. It is very heavy and very high quality, it is the best I have used hands down. Only one trick or downside to it. You can't leave the vaporizer standing up with the iClear 30b attachment. Really, there is no need to leave it standing up. I try to keep it sideways when I hit it and I get zero leakage or drippage down to the battery. I can literally consume all of the oil that I put into it. It is the most efficient vape attachment I have used so far.

Either way, the SVD is my favorite vape, if not, the best in the world. Other companies attachments will attach to the SVD. If they do not, there is probably an adapter that will.

check out all the different batteries that the SVD can use. It is like having multiple vaporizers all in one!

I only recommend using AW batteries and my favorite charger is the TrustFire TR-001.

#18 Limosnero

Subterranean Time Machine Pilot

• Administrators
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationQuantum tunnelling

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

I only use AWs as well. Mostly because the are the best, proven by discharge rates. Thanks for all the great write ups and info! I admit I've been pretty narrow in my selection while buying and using these types of vapes. Curious to know what other vapes you tried & have you ever vaped straight oil?

#19 Nix

Advanced Member

• Donor
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

You can use straight RSO in a clearmorizer but adding PG makes it work much better. You can always just drip oil on some herb and use it in a standard vaporizer. You can also put some on a little piece of cotton and vape it.

So I tried the iClear 16b with the double bottom wicks and the difference is huge. I get much better hits now.

#20 Limosnero

Subterranean Time Machine Pilot

• Administrators
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationQuantum tunnelling

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

Thanks Nix but I've been vaping straight oil of all sorts for quite awhile now. Trying to wrap my head around the need for PG & was curious of Grow Goddess's path that lead to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users